Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Ebony and Ivory





These were taken with my homemade tripod. Three random wooden rods discovered in the attic + a piece of cardboard + a couple sticks of hot glue = one pretty awkward (but surprisingly stable) tripod! He will work on those days when momma sleeps in or has to go somewhere. I shall name him Jean Bob after the swarmy-accented frog in the Swan Princess. I never knew swans could fly until I saw that movie, hehe.

Oh yes, I need to tell everyone about how epic my English teacher is. Okay, so if you fall asleep in his class, he will do one of two things: one, he will get out his megaphone and yell at you with it, blasting your ears into oblivion, or two, he will do something a little more interesting. He'll scoot a chair up by you and put his giant turtle on it facing you so that when you wake up, all you see is an oddly mustache'd creature.. the reaction is quite amusing and its great how the entire class just goes quiet and watches. My teacher is so cool. So cool. I think he's the only English teacher I've had in high school who has actually taught me something (and no, not just that giant turtles with mustaches are frightening objects of mass destruction).


Lately, I've been feeling very anti-social. Is that an emotion? I just want to take Mr. Buggabug on a convertible ride forever and ever with the top down while drowning myself in the deep and beautiful melodies that are Michael Jackson songs, sunglasses on, hair tied up, nobody else with me, nobody else there. Maybe it's because the weather has suddenly became pretty (although it was so warm today I had to take my tights off!) or perhaps because I'm stressed out with it being the last few weeks of school until AP and end of school exams (but still, that's a long ways away and I shouldn't be concerned about them this early). At lunch when I sit in my little group of us four friends in the courtyard I just want to listen to what they say and not contribute much and I'm content with that. I don't want to talk. I don't know what's wrong with me, haha! I hope it's just a phase because even though it's fun to sit and drift away to dreamland, I can't do it for too long.

Over Spring break I cleaned out my closet.. ended up with two garbage bags full of old clothes from as long ago as 7th grade (junior in high school now!) that will be donated. I tried everything on this time and if I hadn't worn it in a year, put it in the giveaway pile. Before when I cleaned out my closet I would tell myself oh, one day I'll fit into it and wear it, but this time I cracked down and really needed to de-clutter and am very happy I did a successful closet clean up! Plus I rediscovered some old things that got shoved away, like this shirt and the skirt which was previously a shirt! If you consider cleaning out your closet for spring, here are some things you may want to look out for (I'm giving advice?! haha oh dear, this can't be right). HERE WE GO LADIES AND GERMS.


Clothing in your closet should go if:
  • You haven't worn it in a year or more. Chances are if you haven't worn it once you won't want to wear it in the future.
  • You have secretly wanted to get rid of it but are afraid to since your lover/family member/relative gave it to you (seriously, are they gonna remember? I think not) or if you bought it on a whim and don't like it anymore.
  • It's too small or too big. If it's too big and you're not going to use it to sleep or laze around in, or it's too small and you say to yourself,"oh, one day I'll be skinny enough and.." no! Unless you plan on honestly losing some weight, just do it the Nsync way and say bye-bye-bye.
  • You didn't know it existed and aren't really that excited to see it again. Oh, hello there shirt I remember buying but don't care about. Would you like to meet my TRASH BAG? AHAHA.
  • Don't throw away anything memorable like your field day shirts from second grade, awe no, those are happy memories, just put them in a box to pack away in your attic.
  • I don't care how cute it is, if you don't feel comfortable or don't like how you look it in, you probably won't wear it, so give it away to someone who needs it!

On actual closet cleaning:
  • Give yourself plenty of time. You may have to set aside a few hours to get the job done, but it'll all be worth it in the end. Be like Nike and just do it. Once you get into it, it's really not that bad.
  • One step at a time! First the shoes, then the dresses, then the shirts, etc.
  • Take everything out and lay it in your room. Yes, everything. That way you can actually see what's shoved in the very back. Who knows, you may even discover Narnia on the way (I know I did. In fact, I met Aslan.. jealous?).
  • Throw away the mismatchy and bent hangers! Matching and unbent ones make everything rest more nicely in your closet. It's obnoxious when you have these random "S" "XL" and "7" numbers in different colors on the tops of your hangers. Usually those just snap off and walah! your hanger can be attractive once more.
  • Make sure your hangers can hang freely! Hangers are very claustrophobic creatures and can get testy if they can't move around a little. They don't need much room, maybe a finger width or two apart depending on the thickness of the fabrics.
  • Put music on while you do it. It makes the job a lot easier and then you can siiiing~ la la la.
  • Label anything that goes in a bin.
  • Seriously I was wearing nothing but my underwears the whole time I cleaned out my closet. It makes it so much easier when you want to try things on and get them off quickly, hehehe (another thing: keep your windows closed).
  • If you want, you can color coordinate your closet. It makes it look so much more purty.

And I think that's about it! Good luck and I hope everyone has a wonderful week! There's so much green everywhere, my my.

Knowstyle dress as shirt, F21 skirt, Walmart tights, TJ Maxx heels, Amazon.com glasses

37 comments:

Rae said...

Well tell Jean Bob he did a wonderful job of taking these pictures. I on the other hand am not that crafty to develop my own stable version of the tripod, so I guess I'll just have to resort to buying one. I love your dress, and the shape is beautiful! :D

<3
Take a Walk on the Rae of Sunshine:
http://alittle-rae-ofsunshine.blogspot.com/
http://alittle-rae-ofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Sonya said...

Love the striped dress!

www.sonyasark.blogspot.com

Fashion Therapist said...

I love that dress - so pretty!

whatiwore said...

Those shoes! I've been wanting a pair precisely that color. Guess I'll have to check out my local TJ Maxx!

jess said...

Your English teacher sounds awesome! I love your top.

Mel said...

Wow what a stunning dress! HAHA your English teacher is hilarious! I so wish I could see someone blast a megaphone into someone's ear. Or the turtle bit is hilarious too.

michelle_ said...

gorgeous skirt !
xoxo..
michelle || glisters and blisters

LyddieGal said...

I love the stripes/slashes on the dress - so cool.
Your english teacher sounds great, teachers who love to educate are the best.

Yay for tripods! I've had quite a few make-shift tripods in my day. Usually laundry baskets with shoe boxes stacked on top... yours sounds better.

Chic on the Cheap

factsss said...

nice outfit coolest design i ever saw

The Small Fabric Of My Life said...

Love the story about your English teacher. Great outfit - I love the light shoes with the dark tights.

DiamondsandTulle said...

hahah! love the post title and the outfit correlation!

xx Vivian @ http://diamondsandtulle.blogspot.com

Couture said...

Very beautiful combination of colours!
Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog ;-)

Judith
http://couture-and-beauty.blogspot.com/

Rose said...

the glasses make this look classic. :)
love it.
xoxo, rose
ChaiLoveVintage

Eva said...

I love your blog!
great outfits!
x

ALEXA- OMG the PINK Blog! said...

I so like the dress :-)
looks so good on you.
also like the glasses, i have to buy a pair ;D

xoxo

OooKellyNicky said...

Wow, awesome dress. Love black and white. Never ever goes wrong!

www.kellynicky.blogspot.com

Fabi said...

thank you for your comment:)
that dress is amazing! i love it!
nice blog, follow youu
xx

Clara said...

amazing pics!
lovely look
xx

Kelly said...

This outfit is just plain cool! I love it.

Jen said...

i am head over heels in love with this outfit! that is pretty much the most perfect black skirt i've ever seen :)

and if i woke up to that massive turtle i'd probably think i was dreaming and go back to sleep. that, or i'd scream and jump out the window haha

Lucy said...

I love everything about this dress!!
You look so fab in this shape.

TaMs* said...

the dress is sooooooooo cute! you are adorable.

Melissa said...

I abs. love this dress. The white cutouts are such a unique twist.

xx, Melissa
http://dearellaxolily.blogspot.com

anton belardo said...

good job with the tripod
i noticed you have a lot of cut out dresses.. cuteness..
and your teachers sounds really fun and coo coo
i hope you don't fall asleep in his class
thanks for the recent comment
i love the last photo of me..
it shows how paranoid i am lol

kisses a.

Jonesy said...

love the outfit!!!! I am a new follower, looking forward to seeing more.

please check out my blog as well when you get a chance (and follow if you like it as well)

www.the-blisslist.blogspot.com

Jessica said...

Your dress is ultra flattering - and just plain cool (even though I never use the word "cool").

ellie jane-e valentine. said...

gorgeous dress! <3

http://closetobsessions.blogspot.com

Phuong said...

great dress, looks stunning!

Charmalade said...

I love how you name your inanimate objects very interesting names. :) OK OK, so I love the black and white outfit with the geektastic glasses, I think that's a given. But. That strangely mustachioed turtle and sleeping classmate picture? PRICELESS. What an awesome teacher.

Toast with Charmalade

elledee said...

I love black and white dresses, looks so mod!

Bug said...

What a fantastic idea, building your own tripod. I love reusing stuff and boy did your pictures come out so well. Love the color combination and that dress is darling.

inbugsdrawers.blogspot.com

xoxoKrysten said...

You look absolutely gorgeous lady!

Veren Lee said...

nice outfit! gorgeous!
have a nice weekend! ;D
veren .a little princess.

beckyxoxo said...

You look so lovely ! That dress is just cute ! And what a funny story about your teacher . He must be a very good teacher :)

Anna Jane said...

What a fantastic teacher! That photo made me laugh.

Love your monochrome dress and the glasses really add to the cuteness.
Can't believe you have a homemade tripod too - beyond cool.

- Anna Jane xxx
(PixelatedBlonde.com)

Prutha said...

i love the top!! and the whole outfit is cool

http://donotshoeme.blogspot.com/

WildBirdVintage said...

just stopping by to check out what you've been up to! love this set of photos and outfit! I love creative teachers, great story :)