Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Cotton Candy Mermaid

Cotton Candy

______Yesterday I turned the ripe, senile age of 22. Which means that besides beginning to grow fond of those who share inspirational quotes plastered over idyllic landscapes on my Facebook feed, I have decided to dress as mature as possible, donning myself in clothing fit for a cotton candy mermaid...

______My day was fairly eventful. Other than buying four pairs of shoes from dee interwebs (my god, Ali, you materialistic piece of poo poo pie), baking myself a cookie cake and eating far too much of it in the process, I went on an extra long bike ride, even managing to cross paths with the eccentric cyclist you may remember me writing about months ago, the one called Northern Lights. When I run into him, I always tell myself I'll turn around and get back at him for all the times he's shouted incoherent ramblings at me, but I've never quite managed to put that plan into action when we actually do cross paths.

Cotton CandyCotton CandyCotton CandyCotton Candy

______When he approaches, I can't help but grin because the whole ordeal is just so stupid. His entrance is always the same and always comical: he spots me from afar, jerks his head around to check for oncoming vehicles, and immediately veers to the yellow centerline like the hungriest of sharks as he hunches protectively over his road bike. I always know it's him because the instant we become aware of each other his demeanor changes as if he is a piglet who has suddenly discovered a mud puddle.

______I like this guy. I am entertained by his presence. I feel we've developed a sort of kinship, like two frat bros who both have red trucks and nod coolly as they pass on campus. We don't know each other's names, but I feel like we'd have a thing or two to discuss if we met in the grocery store.

______But back to the story.

______This time, Northern Lights puffed his chest out and pulled his shoulders back, hands balled into fists on his hips as he rode toward me. He screamed something which, as per usual, I could not quite comprehend, and in response I shouted, "BIKE HIGH FIVE!" because it's a game by now, you know, and we did try our very best to high five one another but failed by a shameful amount of yards. It's strange how distance can be so distorted when you're biking opposed to driving or walking on a road.

______Immediately after the unsuccessful bro-five, blinking lights man shouted, "Wake up earlier!"

Cotton CandyCotton Candy

______Wake up earlier? Was he implying that I should wake up earlier to join him in his biking shenanigans? Usually he's riding the opposite way, so if I timed it right, we could ride the same way... And with that, possibly gain entrance into the unofficial blinking lights biker cult. Yep, I think that's exactly what he meant. And I think it's a challenge. A challenge I will accept with utmost fervor, ferocity, and... f... f... ferocity again.

______Yeah. So ferocious.

______Hope you all are having a great start to your July. And I just want to say that I'm gleeful as ever to be back in blogland communicating with you all. Your meaningfully written, novel-worthy comments mean the world to me!

Cotton Candy

Top: Lotus Boutique (similar)
Skirt: c/o ForElyse (exact)
Heels: Jeffrey Campbell
Bra: Victoria's Secret (exact)
All jewelry from Charming Charlie (yes, it's ridiculous)

15 comments:

Keit said...

I'm even happier than you, that you're back to our bloggers sect! :D I missed Northern Lights, as weird as that may sound, I sense a romance prospect going on there, although he might be scared shitless of approaching and doing something about it :D
And oh my, the outfit is so royal, I love the jewelry, you are phenomenal here, fancy outfits are totally your thing! And omg, you're only 22 years old? I feel fucking ooooooold!

LyddieGal said...

Happy birthday Ali!! Four pairs of shoes sounds like just the right amount to celebrate a birthday, I should think.
Glad to hear you still see Northern Lights, I was actually just thinking about him the other day, of all the odd thoughts to pop into my head.
Chic on the Cheap

ChocolateFashionCoffee said...

love your accessories :)


Saci
ChocolateFashionCoffee
ChocolateFashionCoffee Facebook Page

Rachel said...

You're gonna have to blog about the day that you do wake up earlier, you know that right? No matter what happens.

Frannie Pantz said...

Oh yay the return of Northern Lights! LOL Such a weird relationship! And a very happy belated birthday to you m'dear!

Aiman Ghani said...

treat yourself! birthdays are all about that, no?! not to mention: THANK YOU for accessorizing! people in this world don't wear enough jewelry, I don't think. that is all. Life is spontaneously splendid. xx

Kathryn said...

I love the colors here, and I'm new to your blog but you can bet that I am going back ASAP to read more about Northern Lights. ;) Happy (day late) Birthday, girl!

Maiken said...

I loved that story about Northern Lights. now I'm super curious about what will happen next when you see him. so exciting! :D happy belated birthday, by the way. and the outfit is absolutely fabulous. such great colours and the jewellery, it's really awesome and so well put together. okay and those JC heels must be mentioned as well. they're perfect.

Maiken - Part of me

Kristian said...

Northern Lights sounds like a weird dude.

Love the mermaid (hush. You're a girl, so mermaid it is.) look :D

The Dragonfruit said...

Aha, Northern Lights returns! He certainly sounds like an intriguing fellow...I just wish you two would have an actual conversation so we could find out what on earth he's always yelling xD And why! Although it seems to have led to a nice biking kinship between you two, so that's awesome :)

And TREAT YO SELF! Thoroughly enjoy your new shoes Miss Ali, and show them off proudly once you get them. Haha, besides, you certainly deserve them!

Loving this cotton candy get up, it's mermaid perfection like you <3

The Dragonfruit Diaries
Check out my YouTube channel too!

Laila said...

I love this entire story about what happened between you and Northern Lights. What will happen next...? Keep us posted! I really love that ring you've featured in the last photo, and your skirt is so beautiful - what an incredible colour.

Lily Fang said...

First, happy belated birthday!! Shoes and baking sound like a beautiful way to celebrate. At 19, I also feel super old--I find it difficult to stomach that I'll be a real, live adult before I know it, doing scary adult things like taxes and working a 9-5 job haha. It's terrifying, but also exciting to grow older and experience each unique milestone. Cheers to you!

As for this look, mint and pink is a personal favorite of mine! Also, so pumped to read of the biker's return. Now that I'm cycling more, i'll have to keep an eye out for my own northern lights figures haha. Can't wait for new developments!

Midwest Muse said...

You look great and happy belated birthday!

jess said...

Happy birthday! I just turned 22 too! Northern Lights sounds a little odd maybe you should wake up earlier and see what happens.

Ivana Split said...

happy belated birthday...I really like that long maxi. It does makes me think of mermaids<3

so fun to hear about another encounter with Northern Lights.